Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Weekend in Paris

This past weekend the whole program (plus, the director, his partner, and the assistant director--who we all adore) went to Paris!  We left Thursday afternoon which means I got to miss two classes (art history--which I haven't been to in two weeks, and my language course--all the professor said was, "well of course you have to see Paris).  The TGV runs straight from Grenoble to Paris, so it was a quick and uneventful ride.  We arrived in Paris and went to the hotel, which had nice rooms and a wonderful location.  We were really right in the middle of everything, meaning we could walk to most of the places we visited.

Thursday night we did a night tour of Paris (the director called it the "cheesy Paris" tour), which ended at the Eiffel tower all lit up and beautiful.  It really is stunning at night.  After that a couple of us met up with the friend of one of my friends on the trip (it gets convoluted) and we walked down the Champs Elysee before heading back toward the hotel to meet more friends of friends of friends at a bar.  I had more success playing the east coast college game ("do you know my friend ___ who goes to your school?) than usual, so I actually got to meet a couple kids from Tufts who were good friends with some of my really good friends.

The next day we woke up early and went to the Musée d'Orsay, which was incredible.  I've got to say, for all the hype the Louvre gets, I really loved Musée d'Orsay.  The building itself was so beautiful and the space felt very inviting and unpretentious, despite the fact that it houses some of the most famous art in the world.  We did lunch with the program at a very stereotypical Parisian brasserie--the restaurant walls were completely covered in mirrors and small paintings and the room was sort of overwhelming (in a good way).  And since the program was paying, we got to go all out, beginning of course with champagne.  I'm very proud of myself because I tried raw oysters for the first time--I haven't completely decided what I thought.  I can't get over how much it wasn't like eating--instead it was like literally dunking my head in the ocean.  

After lunch we did the Louvre--which was incredible--but I was, unfortunately, a little museumed out by then.  A nap after the Louvre and then out to dinner with a smaller group.  This time I got duck (I think I've decided it's my new meat of choise) and for dessert we ordered this thing to share between the four of us that was like a crepe filled with banana and ice cream and completely drenched in chocolate.  Which now that I'm writing, sounds like a banana split, but was so much more delicious.

The next morning, we had a boat tour that was a little bit thwarted by the rain/sleet/snow, but once I stopped trying to be brave and went inside the boat, was much more enjoyable.  That night I had the most incredible meal I've had yet in France, starting with escargot.  I love escargot.  This was the second time I've had it and it was even better than I remembered.  For my main dish I had chateaubriand (cooked perfectly) with potatoes, roasted cherry tomatoes, and green beans with a thyme butter.  I was very, very happy.  Sorry if this is a bit food heavy, but I ate really well in Paris and mom has requested more foodie talk.

Anyway, I'm back in Grenoble trying to catch-up on all my homework and missed classes ... 

just kidding.  Although I did actually have homework last night, which was kind of exciting.  I'm starting to think about next week, which is my long break in Spain and London, but I'm mostly focused on dinner tonight.  I'm really hungry!  I'm planning to go out to the Irish pub again tonight (the one with traditional music on Tuesdays), which is nice because it means getting out of the house (and away from my computer), but is still pretty low-key--I'm determined to be healthy for Spain.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment