Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The last two weeks

Alright, so I know it's been a long time.  For a while I had decided to abandon the blog, but my parents keep bugging me so I here I go.  Also, I realized it would be nice to have a record of this trip, because I'm not keeping a travel journal (it doesn't really feel like traveling)

I skied!  Until a few weeks ago I had never been skiing and I went twice (last weekend and the weekend before) and I love it!  I was actually really anxious before I went that I would be one of those lame people who doesn't like skiing, so thank goodness I do :)  I also just like being up in the mountains.  Both times, I skied for much less time than everybody else so I sat at a café, drank a café creme and enjoyed the view.  It was beautiful and sunny during the day and then by the time the sun went down I was inside a restaurant drinking vin chaud (sweetened hot wine).

I was talking to my mother and she asked about what kind of food I've been eating and if I've had any really great meals.  I'm ashamed to say, that the first thing that came into my mind was a dinner my friends and I had the other night at ... QuickBurger.  That's basically the French McDonalds.  We all had a meeting/party thing at the director's house on Monday night and we had been promised tons of snacks.  Before I went I, uh, accidently had a couple of glasses of wine, so by the time I got there I was starving.  After stuffing thousands of little pastries in my mouth, we finished the meeting thing and decided it was time to get some crappy fast food.  I got a "Long Bacon" with fries and the most delicious ice cream I've ever had (it basically tasted like cool whip).  Also, I can't remember the last time I laughed that hard.  I really like the group dynamic we have--all the kids are a lot of fun.

Last night I went for the second week in a row to an Irish pub in town that has live Irish folk music on Tuesday nights.  It was packed last night!  We got a chance to meet some other American kids, which will hopefully expand our social circle a little bit.

A shout-out to all the Bullards:  one of the best parts about going out in Grenoble is that every single pub has Hoegaarden on tap for pretty cheap.  Since usually the only time I get the deliciousness that is Hoegaarden is when I'm at the beach, every time I go out I think about you guys :)

2 comments:

  1. I've been having American-style burgers made by the French myself... though these are made with steak meat and topped with bleu cheese, caramelized onions and mushrooms. Next time you come to NYC we're going to BLT Burger.

    So I take it the strike was broken?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about an entry on les belles gastronomique de Grenoble and les bêtes gastronomique de Grenoble?

    ReplyDelete