Saturday, January 17, 2009

I really like this place

Really.  I've spent the last few days exploring the city some more, going out for drinks and dinner, getting to know my fellow étudiants.  I know it's only been a week, but I'm super happy here.

We finished the "préstage" French classes this week.  We had two hours in the morning, an hour for lunch, and then two hours in the afternoon of french review with just Swarthmore kids and a CUEF professor (CUEF is the international university).  It was a little bit trying at times ... I don't know if she represents all French teachers, but her teaching style did not mesh well with my learning style.  Because it's been so long since I took a French grammar class, I've forgotten a lot of the technical stuff.  So the professor would go around the room and say a phrase and then call on each of us to answer the question or change the sentence or whatever.  First of all, I don't know how to do a lot of stuff.  Secondly, I'm a terrible listener!  I'm just not an audio learner.  So I would stumble through my question, try to understand what other people answered and then by the end, have nothing to show for it except frustration and a total lack of confidence in my French skills.  The afternoon classes were generally better because we played games and talked more.  I really like the group of kids I'm with .... everyone is so nice and interesting and ready to explore.

On Thursday after class, a group of us went into town and got coffee/drinks.  After that we went to the cinematheque to see a Belgian movie called "Le lit" (the bed), which we will get reimbursed for (my program rocks).  The movie was quite beautiful and the theater is wonderful, but it was so intense and tragic and completely depressing.  After the movie, we went to the London Pub--which is my new favorite place.  They play the best music and it's reasonably priced.

Yesterday, we took the placement examen to see which French class we will be in and whether we will be able to take classes at the French université.  After being so terrible during the préstage classes I was pretty sure I wouldn't do well, but it was much easier than I had expected it to be.  After that I went home and napped then we had a dinner party at Jean-Vincent's (the director).  It was so pleasant and comfortable, really I can't stress enough how well this is going so far.  

The whole group went out last night (back to the London pub) and we had a great time (well I did anyway, and I think the others did as well).  However, waking up this morning was rough.  Fortunately I have those automatic metal shades that come down and block out all sun.  So I slept till almost two.  I woke up and my host mom had set out two croissants for me.  Then I went and met the others in town for some shopping and I'm home for a little bit until we're going to meet for bowling later!

I'm clearly living the life.  I'm not really ready for classes to start ...

No comments:

Post a Comment